If you’re a fan of the colour white, then you probably have a lot of white furniture in your house. And if you have a white carpet at home, then you probably have a tough time keeping it gleaming and glistening. We won’t blame you though, and you’re certainly not alone in struggling to keep your whites sparkling and bright. This colour signifies peace, calm and serenity. However, even a tiny unwanted spot on it can ruin the elegance and tranquility of white.
Sure, white will bring a touch of regality and luxury to your home, but it can also have an opposite effect if it starts looking like a dingy shade of yellow. This is bound to happen if you do not take proper measures from time to time to maintain your white carpet. I bet you often wonder as to how all the best hotels that you visit always manage to keep their carpets so white and bright. Fret not, the mystery of the ever-so-glittering white carpet is about to be solved.
In this post, we give you some easy and handy tips on how to maintain white carpets, and preventing colour from appearing due to spots and stains!
Spot the Wine Stains
If you’ve erroneously spilled wine on your carpet, then it calls for some emergency measures to undo the damage. You will have to attend to the spill as quickly as possible because you don’t want the liquid to dry up. Remember, if it dries up it will set in and would be difficult to get rid of.
- So act quickly by first dabbing your carpet with linen or sponge so that it absorbs as much of the liquid as it can. Remember not to rub as that will only spread/smudge the stain and damage the fibres in your carpet.
- Once that’s done, you need to rush to your kitchen and make a solution of 2 cups of water and one tablespoon of white vinegar and gently dab the area again with this solution.
- After that, all you need to it is gently dab the area with a dry cloth till the stain comes off completely.
- Additional tip: You can sprinkle salt on fresh red wine stains and then gently scrape it off with a soft-bristled brush as that works well too.
Chuck the Chocolate Stains
If you have kids at home, you’re bound to have your carpet stained with chocolate every once in a while. Getting rid of the stain might seem like a nightmarish experience, but it doesn’t actually have to be that way. By creating your very own chocolate stain buster, you have no reason to worry. Again this will also require some quick action by you.
- Step one would be to simply add a teaspoon of your fabric detergent (with enzymes) to a cup of water and dab the stain with a paper towel or cloth.
- Leave the solution on the stain for about half an hour and dab it with a damp cloth. If it is a stubborn stain, you can also use undiluted hydrogen peroxide.
- Next, mix equal parts of white vinegar and water and gently dab on the area again till the stain disappears.
Time to Clean Your Carpets? Time to Call Big Red!
Keep your white carpets clean & always looking brand new.
Banish Tea/Coffee Stains
This is one of the most commonly found stains on carpets. The ugly brown stain or ring from your cuppa is a heartbreaker for white carpet owners. Getting rid of this one’s a quickie too and the process entails you going back into your kitchen again.
- As the first step, you’ll have to make a paste out of baking soda and water. Prepare the paste in the quantity as per the size of the stain. (The consistency needs to be like that of your toothpaste.)
- Next, apply this paste with a clean and soft cloth over the stain and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Finally, gently dab it with a damp cloth till the stain comes off and you’re done.
Release the Grease
Grease stains are the worst as they are dreadful and slimy. However, getting rid of grease or oil marks from your white carpet was never so easy. Just follow the below-mentioned steps for a squeaky clean carpet.
- Sprinkle corn starch generously over the grease stains and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- When you’ve done that, bring out your vacuum cleaner and use it over the greasy area, and voila! Try looking for the stain now and we bet you won’t be able to find it.
Shrink the Ink
Can you imagine this? A big (or small) blue-coloured spot right at the centre of your carpet pricking your eye every time you set sight on it? If you undergo this trauma every time you look at your ink-stained carpet, then it’s time to act on it NOW.
- Get your bottle of hairspray and use it over the stain directly. Follow it up by some gentle dabbing/brushing till the stain disappears.
- Alternatively, you can try using milk or a mixture of lemon juice and salt instead of the hairspray and leave it there for a few minutes and dab it with a damp cloth till the stain is gone.
Let’s face it – we’ve all dreamt of owning at least one piece of white furniture to add a dash of grandeur to our home but never had the guts to do it. Most people shy away from buying white carpets and other white upholstery and furniture because the upkeep can be a real toughie. But with the above-mentioned tips now at your disposal, you no longer need to be intimidated by the thought of buying a dreamy white carpet because cleaning it is surely going to be a breeze.
Our 30-Day Big Red Satisfaction Guarantee!
If you are not satisfied with the service from us, we will return to your premises with no obligations and re-clean any area you feel needs additional attention. It’s our 30-day, Big Red 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
For a healthy indoor environment, call Big Red now at 6241 9443!